Discussion Forum

Stay up to date on all the conversations happening across our articles.

Home Forums Article Discussion What you need to know about Red Factor Canaries

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

The red factor canary is a popular pet bird, kept for the novelty of their vivid red plumage. Aside from their color, they are essentially identical t
    [See the full post at: What you need to know about Red Factor Canaries]

#14597 Reply
    Phil Mumford

Is the red factor gene dominant or recessive?

#14598 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

I could be wrong, but I believe the color factor gene is recessive while the color intensity/melanin genes are dominant. So the correct answer is “a bit of both.”

#14599 Reply
    Paula Watson

Why are my red canary’s feathers white at the roots?

#14600 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

What you’re describing sounds like either frosted feathers (which is a genetic factor causing the lipochrome pigment to not reach the very tip of the feathers) or overly prominent down feathers.

Australian canaries are starting their moult right about now, so you’re probably seeing some extra white feathers as the older coloured feathers are replaced.

#14601 Reply
    paula watson

Thank you, he has just started moulting, the first since I have had him which is only a few weeks.

#14602 Reply
    paula watson

Another thing, my canary was lying on the floor of the cage with his wings outspread, in the end I sprayed him with water and he recovered, was it heatstroke? he seems fine now.

#14603 Reply
    Jose Valladares

Can they survive in high temperatures or humidity

#14604 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Within reason, yes. The mix of warmth and moisture makes it more difficult to fight off disease though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: What you need to know about Red Factor Canaries
Your information: