Discussion Forum

Stay up to date on all the conversations happening across our articles.

Home Forums Article Discussion What parrots can be kept with finches?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Mixing different species of birds in an aviary is incredibly popular for many reasons. Some want to create an aesthetically pleasing mix of different
    [See the full post at: What parrots can be kept with finches?]

#14615 Reply
    Jonathan

Hi , I have gouldian finches, orange breasted finches, Fire Finches and Scarlet Creasted Parrots all together in my aviary and I was wondering if I could add a pair of eastern rosellas or similar lorikeets??
    Cheers Jonathan

#14616 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Rosellas don’t mix with smaller birds. Similarly, lorikeets other than the Little and *maybe* the Purple-crowned should not be housed with finches.

#14617 Reply
    Amy

Rosellas are big bullies.. i wouldnt bother.

#14618 Reply
    Peter

I have a semi tame female ringneck. can i put a pair of gouldian finches in the aviary with her? Aviary is 1 metre wide by 2 metres long by 1.8 metres tall. Your thoughts?

#14619 Reply
    Peter

Clarify to the above, “indian ringneck”

#14620 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Absolutely not. Indian ringnecks, especially females, are far too aggressive to house with anything smaller.

#14621 Reply
    Hamza

Can I put kakarikies with gouldian

#14622 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Maybe. How big is the aviary?

#14623 Reply
    Susanne Vanden Heuvel

Can I put Weiros in the aviary with zebra finch

#14624 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Sometimes. Depends on how aggressive the weiros are.

#14625 Reply
    Gabby Oldfather

I have two finches and looking to get a hyacinth macaw. I have a whole bird room in my home with plenty of space. I would have separate aviaries for sleep and feed. Would that be okay? To allow them all to be out together in the room but when enclosed they are in separate enclosures?

#14626 Reply
    tanya

Just got a finch and its always really scared, we dont bother it too much. Can we buy a parrot and put them in the same cage? Or any suggestions what the finch would get along with.

#14627 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Parrots and finches should never be housed together in a cage. Perhaps you should find a mate for your finch—they are very social birds and are very stressed and miserable if housed alone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: What parrots can be kept with finches?
Your information: